Re: Help with unexpexted double barline trouble and \markup

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Help with unexpexted double barline trouble and \markup
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 09:37:51 -0500

Hi Carl-Henrik,

> Bar 1)
> Stemlets. Do it have to be this hard creating them? Is there a way to make it
> global? Also, i want the stemlet to reach down towards the rest. How?

This may be related to the issue Urs is working on at the moment. In any case,
I’m sure there are automatic ways to make your preference global.

> How do i make custom rehersal marks?

Did \mark \markup { … } not work for you?

> Bar 8)
> Why does the double barline not exend equaly through both staffs?

That looks like a bug to me: all SpanBars should [IMO] be printed at the
largest applicable size.

> Bar 37)
> Why does it not show a double bar line?

<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/bars#bar-lines>:
In addition, you can specify ".|:-||", which is equivalent to ".|:" except at
line breaks, where it gives a double bar line at the end of the line and a
start repeat at the beginning of the next line.

> And finally: I feel my score is a mess. How can i clean up/simplify my input?

It’s not that messy, to my eye.

But it does seem like a lot of code for such a simple score. For example, I am
very surprised that you needed to do all that Scheme programming… did \repeat
percent not work? (I don’t have time to test right now.)

> inputing this takes alot of time considering how long use on inputing this in
> Sibelius

Now that I’m adept, I find that the input phase for my Lilypond code is about
75-80% of the input time required when I was a Finale guru, and 50% of the time
required when I used Sibelius (but admittedly was not a guru).

Where the big time savings comes is in the “tweaking” phase: I figure Lilypond
requires about 5-10% of the tweaking time that my Finale and Sibelius scores
did. And now that I know how beautiful computer-engraved scores can actually
look [because of Lilypond], I would probably spend even more time tweaking
Finale/Sibelius files if I ever had to use those applications.

Hope this helps and/or encourages!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info