Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 00:43:30 -0500

> On Jan 25, 2016, at 4:38 PM, Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Reminds me of Clairnote, a more radical approach, which has also been
> realised with LilyPond: <http://clairnote.org/>.

Thanks Simon, I guess that’s my cue?  :-)  For anyone interested, check out the
attached pdf.

In short... in Clairnote the staff positions represent the notes of the
chromatic scale.  There are three space notes / positions between adjacent
lines.  (Adjacent lines are always 4 semitones / a major 3rd apart.)  Hollow
and solid notes help convey pitch and interval relationships.  Half notes get a
double stem to distinguish them from quarter notes.  No need to memorize key
signatures.  Intervals are easy to see.  Notes an octave apart look similar
because the staff repeats with every octave, so no different clefs to learn.
Etc….

Oh and if anyone is curious about the (alternative) accidental signs, they are
documented here: http://clairnote.org/accidental-signs/

If nothing else it’s a testament to LilyPond’s extensibility and just how far
you can go with some Scheme!

Also, Clairnote is just one variation on this theme.  You can see a lot of
similar systems on the Music Notation Project’s site.  Some are much less of a
radical departure.
http://musicnotation.org/systems/gallery/

Cheers,
-Paul