feature request: stem length should scale for scaled/cue notes

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: feature request: stem length should scale for scaled/cue notes
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 11:11:09 -0500

Hello all,

I searched the issue tracker and LSR, but couldn’t find anything related to
this.
(Apologies if I missed it.)

Please consider the output of following snippet:

%%%  BEGIN SNIPPET
\version "2.19.35"

cees = { c'8 8 8 8 }

tinyteeny = {
  \time 2/4
  \cees
  \tiny \cees
  \teeny \cees
  \new CueVoice { \cees }
  << R2 \new CueVoice { \cees } >>
}

\score {
  \new Staff \tinyteeny
}
%%%  END SNIPPET

The stem lengths are identical for all notehead sizes; note also that this is
independent of whether CueVoice is explicitly used, and if so whether the
CueVoice is simultaneous with another voice.

While this output is perhaps logical/intuitive, it looks odd to my eye. And
it’s definitely not the accepted convention (cf. Gould, p. 569: “Cue notation
is about three-quarters the size of full-sized notation […] All notation
symbols that are part of the cue […] are scaled down. Stem lengths are 2-2½
stave-spaces long.”).

I think Lilypond should [optionally?] calculate the stem length *relative to
the notehead size*, so that the smaller notes look like “real music”.
Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer