Re: How to get swing feel from dotted notation?

From: Henry Law
Subject: Re: How to get swing feel from dotted notation?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 02:11:52 +0100

On 31/03/16 01:48, Colin Campbell wrote:
into more of a triplet effect

If I, as a sometime jazz player, were trying to communicate the effect of "swing" then I'd say, summarising brutally and rather inaccurately, "It's written as 4/4 but played as 12/8."

In other words the player adds something that's not written down, which is going to make it rather hard for you to generate MIDI which, since it's generated from the written-down bits, is /ipso facto/ lacking the "feel" that the player adds.

Sounds to me as if you're going to have to play it on a keyboard and save the (quantized) note values as MIDI.

--

Henry Law            Manchester, England