Re: London-Heathrow

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: London-Heathrow
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 15:25:24 +0100

On 04/05/16 14:58, Phil Holmes wrote:
> Depending on how much your budget is, you can easily get to London and
> back in that time:
>
> https://www.heathrowexpress.com/

Or the Picadilly line on the tube. Where do you want to go? If you know
where you want to go, go to tfl.gov.uk and it'll give you route and
times (it can be temperamental).

Bear in mind London is huge. There's two different Londons - the City of
London which is one square mile (a mile is 1.6km), and there's Greater
London, a huge urban sprawl some 20 miles in diameter.

If you just want to do some sightseeing, I'd suggest getting the
Picadilly to Leicester Square (50 mins). That's in the middle of Soho,
or China Town. Head south to the river, and it takes you to Trafalgar
Square, Charing Cross Road, St Martin in the Fields, that sort of area.
>From Trafalgar Square you can head down to Westminster and the Houses of
Parliament. (Then you can catch the Jubilee to Green Park and Picadilly
back to Heathrow.)

As an alternative, get off at Green Park and walk down past the Palace.
And all the places I've suggested are some distance from the City of
London :-)

You'll need an Oyster Card (a smart-card that lets you use the transport
system), and there'll be details on the tfl website. I'm sure me and/or
other Londoners will chime in if you want to know any more.

Cheers,
Wol