Re: Troubleshooting installing dev version of lilypond on ubuntu

From: Paul
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting installing dev version of lilypond on ubuntu
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 12:31:19 -0400

On 05/18/2016 12:08 PM, Phil Holmes wrote:

On Windows machines, this typically happens when the PDF file can't be written to - often because it's open in Adobe reader. Could something be locking test.pdf, or could there be a permissions problem on the directory?

Thanks, I tried changing permissions on the directory that test.ly was in and got the same error.

But I've now got it working. I noticed that I now have a ~/bin directory with "lilypond" and other shell scripts in it. And everything works fine when I do:

$ ~/bin/lilypond test.ly

or just

$ lilypond test.ly

GNU LilyPond 2.19.42
Processing `test.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `/tmp/lilypond-Rngdht'...
Converting to `test.pdf'...
Deleting `/tmp/lilypond-Rngdht'...
Success: compilation successfully completed

I can still access the 2.18.2 version via Frescobaldi by adding this path:
/usr/bin/lilypond

I wonder, is this the usual way/location to install a dev version alongside a stable version on GNU/Linux? Might be nice to have this documented somewhere. (Or maybe I'm just a newbie with this.)

Cheers,
-Paul