Re: Embedding LilyPond in iOS app?

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Embedding LilyPond in iOS app?
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 11:05:44 +1000

Hi John,

On 20/05/2016, 1:19 PM, "lilypond-user on behalf of SNIPER36" wrote:

>Hello, I just came across lilypond while looking for a notation library that
>I can embed into an iOS app. I would like a view in my app that shows one
>bar of music notation at a time, and the lilypond file would be created
>programmatically, not by the user. I read the "Inserting LilyPond output
>into other programs" section, and see that I can output a png, which I could
>then display in my app. I'm just not sure how to embed this capability into
>the app, or if it can be done at all. Any help is appreciated.

Lilypond is written in C++ and Scheme (using Guile) and various components use
Python. Although I am not au fait with iOS, I don’t think you would be able to
compile and build lilypond in that environment. Lilypond is powerful and
complex – I am fairly sure a heavyweight program such as this would be
difficult to implement on iOS systems such as a phone. So far I have not heard
of any iOS port of lilypond. I may be wrong!

Andrew