Re: MIDI and template for dynamics

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: MIDI and template for dynamics
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 10:34:28 +0200

Hi Kaj,

perhaps it doesn't matter that its named, but dynamics are in a separate voice context?

You might try instead:

\new Voice = "SA" << \Music \Dynamics >>

Just a thought ...

HTH
Jan-Peter

Am 30.05.2016 um 10:28 schrieb address@hidden:
Hi all,

Using a template for dynamics is a convenient way of writing, when
dealing with voices following the same dynamics pattern. Basically it
works very well for producing beautiful scores, and also controlling
MIDI. But now I have found something that might be a bug, even if I hope
it is just a mistake of mine. Here is a small example:

|\version "2.18.2"||
||Music = {||
||  a'4 a' a' a'||
||  a'4 a' a' a'||
||}||
||Dynamics = { ||
||  s4\ppp s s s||
||  s4\fff s s s||
||}||
||\score {||
||   \new Staff <<||
||     \new Voice { \Music }||
||     \new Voice { \Dynamics }||
||   >>||
||  \layout {}||
||  \midi {}||
||}|

It produces a nice score and also the MIDI reflects the dynamics. But,
if I name one of the Voices, which I need to for Lyrics, the score is
still fine, but in the MIDI file nothing of dynamics can be heard. Just
one level all the time.

|\version "2.18.2"||
||Music = {||
||  a'4 a' a' a'||
||  a'4 a' a' a'||
||}||
||Dynamics = { ||
||   s4\ppp s s s||
||   s4\fff s s s||
||}||
||\score {||
||  \new Staff <<||
||    \new Voice = "SA" { \Music }||  % <-- named voice
||    \new Voice { \Dynamics }||
||  >>||
||   \layout {}||
||   \midi {}||
||}||

As you see the above examples are written for version 2.18.2, the latest
stable, but I have tested also in version 2.19.42 without any difference.

/Kaj