Re: Making flags a bit thicker? Changing distance between key signature

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Making flags a bit thicker? Changing distance between key signature elements?
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 13:03:33 +0200

Am 30.05.2016 um 12:41 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Am 30.05.2016 um 11:13 schrieb Stanislav:
>>> Hello everybody!
>>> I have been developing tactile stave music notation for
>>> the visually impaired. I am going to make a score with
>>> subsequent milling on a CNC machine. Now I mainly
>>> use Musescore, which is a wonderful piece of software,
>>> but as of yet it cannot change the width of flags
>>> and chance distance between key signature elements.
>>> Can those things be done in Lilypond?
>>> In such case I would prepare the score in
>>> Musescore and then import it into
>>> Lilypond and do the rest.
>>> Please help!
>>>
>> I've once used
>>
>> \override LyricText.stencil =
>>     #(lambda (grob)
>>        (ly:stencil-scale (lyric-text::print grob) 0.9 1))
>>
>> to fake a condensed lyrics font.
>> Maybe this could be applied to flags as well?
> In the current developer version, I'd likely prefer
>
> \override LyricText.stencil =
>    #(grob-transformer 'stencil
>       (lambda (grob old) (ly:stencil-scale old 0.9 1)))
>
> since it does not require knowing the old definition.

OK, Stanislav. Depending on the LilyPond version you are using you can
use either of the following overrides:

  \override Flag.stencil =
  #(grob-transformer 'stencil
     (lambda (grob old) (ly:stencil-scale old 2 1)))

  \override Flag.stencil =
  #(lambda (grob)
     (ly:stencil-scale (ly:flag::print grob) 2 1))

and modify the argument that is set to "2" in the example (which is
obviously nonsensical).

However, you have to note that this does not only make the stroke
thicker but also stretches the overall shape (which you can see very
well with that example value.

I'm afraid if you don't like such results you can't do much about it
because (as others have said) the flag shape is actually a font glyph.
You might have success with replacing the flag glyph with a glyph from
another font. Or you could actually modify the Emmentaler font in a font
editor, but be warned that this is rather hacky and will be overwritten
when you install a new version of LilyPond.

HTH
Urs