Re: Ties across different voices?

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Ties across different voices?
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 21:34:34 -0400

Hi Josh,

Essentially, lilypond does not do ties or slurs across voices. [As an aside, this is a source of frustration for all [to be precise, it drives me nuts! :-)], and some wonderful news is that we have a Google Summer of Code scholar working on this very topic.]

So, there are several ways to do this in general. In the case of your attached image, simply use voices to represent the chords, and the problem dissolves. Note that i you do this you may have to shift note columns here and there (\shiftOff in the example).

You can do tricks with hidden notes and so in, but as long as you have the underlying understanding that you either work in the same voice for ties or need to use some hideen note tricks, you should be fine.

Andrew

== snip

\version "2.19.42"

{