Re: Cannot install lilypond on a shared Hostmonster server

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Cannot install lilypond on a shared Hostmonster server
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 21:44:05 -0500

On Sun 05 Jun 2016 at 20:59:17 (+0000), Mike wrote:
> > This sort of error is usually a good sign that you're trying to run a
> > locally installed LP with the Linux Distribution versions of, eg,
> > GhostScript or Python; not a good idea.
> >
> > Your full output of the installation process (in the other subthread)
> > is useful, difficult to understand, and so it'll take a bit of looking at
> > in due course.
>
> Thanks. To be honest though, this seems to point to the opposite, i.e.
> that the "local" LP GhostScript is unhappy, while the one I invoke directly
> from the command line (presumably the one provided with the distro) can
> transform PS into PDF without any problems.

When you type the gs command at the commandline, you will get the
distribution's version of gs. It will run with a self-consistent set
of libraries and files, and should process your PS file into a PDF
file successfully.

When you run LP, it will ask gs to convert the file. However, which
version of gs runs, LP's or the system's? Will it be happy running
with LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home1/myusername/lilypond/usr/lib"?

Do I know if LP's symlinks are set up correctly? Not really.

Do you yet know which distribution is running? What version of tar do
you have?

$ tar --version

The only difference I can see at present between the symlinks that
work (fonts) and those that don't (libs) is that the latter point to
files in the same directory. tar is/has been quite buggy in the area
of symlinks. In all cases, the symlinks precede the targets in your
tar archive. I can't help wondering what goes on between the usr/lib
directory, the symlink and the target file during the interval while
the directory is being populated.

Cheers,
David.