RE:Programming error - cross fingers

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: RE:Programming error - cross fingers
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 11:09:09 +1000

Thanks Gents for the suggestions. I suppose the binary chop technique is necessary here. This is always tedious and very time consuming, but in this case I have just found that I can place the troublesome chord earlier in the piece and it compiles fine, so I can avoid the binary chop by just moving the chord in the piece until it fails. It’s an odd sort of error, and hard to see what could possibly cause such a thing.

The trouble with the program crossing it’s fingers is that it’s not that funny when your score has suddenly collapsed and you don’t know how to proceed, and that’s all the computer can say! And when you see this joke repeated at you several dozen times every compile, like all jokes, it ceases to be funny upon repitition. Although I am a great believer in maintaining one’s sense of humour, I do tend to be more sombre in my programming error messages. Ah well, maybe lilypond is telling this curmudgeon to lighten up.

I know that due to the architecture of lilypond and the nature of musical score layout engines that it may not always be possible to state an exact line number or source code file position for an error, but I just wish the errors were somewhat more informative to the end user. With this one, all I know is there is an error somewhere inside a massive score, with no clue as to what the nature of the error is, in end user practical terms.

Andrew