Re: Changing default fingering location for lower staff in a grand staff

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Changing default fingering location for lower staff in a grand staff
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 10:10:18 -0700 (MST)

Michael,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Michael Rivers [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a way to set the default location for fingering in the lower staff of a grand staff to be below the staff rather than above? I realize that I can write, e.g., "c_1" instead of "c-1" every time. However, after a few years of using Lilypond, I have wasted so much time fixing my errors (both accidentally putting the fingering above in the lower staff and below in the upper staff after having worked in the bass clef for a while) that I would really like to be able to just use the default "c-1" and have Lilypond know the correct default location.

(To be honest, it kind of irks me that Lilypond doesn't know the standard default location of fingering for the lower staff. Putting the fingering below (except, of course, when there are multiple voices) has been the standard for a long time in printed music. It seems to me that if a user writes "c-1" for a bass clef note in a grand staff, Lilypond should put the finger number below the staff by default.)

I apologize if this is in the manual or the snippet repository, but I couldn't find it.

\override Staff.Fingering.direction = #DOWN ?

HTH,
AbrahamĀ