Re: Flute Accompaniment

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Flute Accompaniment
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 16:19:52 -0500

On Sun 26 Jun 2016 at 13:14:42 (-0500), Br. Gabriel-Marie | SSPX wrote:
> In my piece I have a piano staff with the music on the bottom staff.
> In the upper staff it is supposed to be notes for recorder or flute
> accompaniment.  In the original the flute notes and its staff are
> all a bit smaller in size.  What do you call those smaller notes?  I
> want to make the entire top staff + the notes just smaller so it is
> obvious to the singers not to try and sing the accompaniment.  How
> do I do that?

Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated in 2.18.2, but the
development version has:

4.2.2 Setting the staff size

3. To set the staff size for a single staff within a system,
   use the \magnifyStaff command.
   For example, traditionally engraved chamber music scores
   with piano often used 7mm piano staves while the other
   staves were typically between 3/5 and 5/7 as large (between
   60% and 71%). To achieve the 5/7 proportion, use:
   \score {
      <<
        \new Staff \with {
          \magnifyStaff #5/7
        } { ... }
        \new PianoStaff { ... }

   }
   If you happen to know which fontSize you wish to use,
   you could use the following form:
   \score {
      <<
        \new Staff \with {
          \magnifyStaff #(magstep -3)
        } { ... }
        \new PianoStaff { ... }

   }
   To emulate the look of traditional engraving, it is best
   to avoid reducing the thickness of the staff lines.

Cheers,
David.