Re: Accidental-only in figured bass

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Accidental-only in figured bass
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2016 13:55:33 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 03.07.2016 um 13:27 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

>>> No, except that it isn't explicitly mentioned on
>>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/figured-bass (you
>>> can only extract it from two general examples while it's not listed on
>>> the list of provided functions).
>>
>>    Vertical spaces and brackets can be included in figures:
>>
>>      \figures {
>>        <[12 _!] 8 [6  4]>
>>      }
>>      [image src="lilypond/3a/lily-426e6f45.png" alt="[image of music]"
>> text="image of music"]
>>

> OK, but then this should be disentangled: adding a vertical space but
> *not* add an (undocumented) natural at the same time.

Oh, I'm not really fond of the documentation.  I also find the table
with "examples" at the end of the node distracting since the examples
only include the graphical output but not the corresponding input.

In short: the documentation sucks.  It requires deduction and educated
guesses to figure out its meaning.  But in the current state, your
proposed change does not help a lot in making it more coherent.

--
David Kastrup