Re: 17th century English kbd ornaments

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: 17th century English kbd ornaments
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 11:53:17 +0100

On Tue, 2016-07-19 at 12:08 +0200, Simon Albrecht wrote:
> On 19.07.2016 09:56, Richard Shann wrote:
> >> If we did them as
> >> ornaments the possibility would arise of being able to use them to set
> >> English Virginal Music which uses the slash and double slash,
> > those behave rather differently from ornaments, being as you say,
> > through the stem.
> >> through the stem, extensively - although as folks have noted, nobody
> >> really knows what they mean.
>
> How would placing them on the stem make them substantially different
> from other ornaments?

well, as I understand it, ornaments have a direction ^, _ and - in
LilyPond syntax, whereas the slashes don't.

> > You may like to look at Denemo's output, as it has a claveciniste menu
> > for French ornaments - it also generates coulés which, again, do not
> > have the normal attributes of ornaments, so you could get an idea of the
> > syntax needed for those too.
>
> Again, the only difference to other ornaments is the placement, so I
> don’t quite understand what you mean. Surely (implementation aside) {
> a\coule } would be perfectly sensible syntax?

A coulé is a pair of lines placed on the line/space between two notes a
third apart. I don't recall the details, but the implementation (which
someone posted here) treats them as notes.

Richard