Re: Ties and retrograde

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Ties and retrograde
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2016 20:53:12 +0200

On 14.08.2016 20:35, address@hidden wrote:
The \retrograde function doesn't seem to handle ties at all, as seen in
this example, which engraves only one tie:

music = { c'4~ c'8 g'8 }

\new Staff {
   \music
   \retrograde \music
}

The notation manual mentions that "manual" ties are not handled, and
suggests that "some" ties can be generated automatically instead, by
entering longer notes and using automatic note splitting to break them at
bar lines.  But that doesn't work for me, because I have a note made up of
a quarter and a sixteenth tied together across the middle of a bar, not
across a bar line.  Does someone perhaps have a snippet that will do
retrograde with correct handling of this kind of tie?

If anything, I would have thought something like this would work:

%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.45"

music = \context Bottom <<
  { c'4*5/4 d'16 e' f' }
  { s4 \bar "" s }

\new Staff {
  \music
  \retrograde \music
}

\layout {
  \context {
    \Voice
    \remove "Note_heads_engraver"
    \consists "Completion_heads_engraver"
%%%%%%%%

But in fact this doesn’t split the notes. I recall that I have been having problems with invisible bar lines triggering Completion_heads_engraver, and I tried to make advantage of that, but Lily doesn’t cease to surprise you…

Best, Simon