Re: What to do wanting a 4th order Bézier?

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: What to do wanting a 4th order Bézier?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 21:54:31 +1000

Hello Simon,

Others have of course already replied, but when I look at your attached sample
I only see a slightly curved slur. What makes you say you want a quartic bezier
curve? I can’t quite see it.

Are you sure that’s what you want in any case? Quickly scanning through some of
the maths of bezier curves and splines, it seems that people are pretty much in
agreement that curves higher than cubic are problematical in many ways, and
that the way to deal with non cubic representable curves is to piecewise
approximate them with cubic beziers. This is from the point of view of maths,
and all the answers here give the practical way of doing that in lilypond.

What is it exactly that you are expecting a quartic to give you?

Just because this is so well written and one of the best elementary expositions
of Bezier curve maths I have come across, here’s a useful link:

http://pomax.github.io/bezierinfo/

Andrew

On 18/09/2016, 4:27 AM, "lilypond-user on behalf of Simon Albrecht"