Re: How to engrave lowercase chord symbols

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to engrave lowercase chord symbols
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 14:24:04 +0200

Todor Vachkov <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> My goal is to engrave music for accordion and I would like to have my
> chords symbols as follows:
>
> Bass tone: allways uppercase: e.g. *A E D*
>
> Chords: allways lower case: e.g. *major* chords *a e d*; *minor* chords *am
> em dm*
>
> And together: *A am E e D d7*
>
> In Lilypond you can force the lowercase only for the minors:
>
> \set chordNameLowercaseMinor = ##t
>
> But I would like to have this possibility for the majors, sevens etc. as
> well...The bass tone is always uppercase, which is fine.
>
> Can someone please help me? Thanks a lot in advance!

This is not helpful per se, but you'll probably find that the way
LilyPond's ChordName context places the chord names does not work well
for annotating a bass part (it's fine for piano conventions).  You'll
likely be better off using text scripts even though those don't
transpose well (or at all).  Of course assuming that you _are_ going to
produce a whole bass staff.

So accordion standard bass notation has more than one open problem at
the current point of time.

I've been skirting duties here by mostly playing arrangements for free
bass (like <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCfm-OhfBUI> which I should
probably attempt to make a final take of some of these days).

--
David Kastrup