Re: Getting a new computer

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: Getting a new computer
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 14:03:07 +1100

On 17 November 2016 at 13:24, Vaughan McAlley <address@hidden> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My 2008 iMac is reaching the end of its useful life, and I would like to
> replace it with some kind of desktop computer that runs Debian. Given that a
> significant proportion of my time on this new computer will be compiling
> Lilypond files, I was wondering which specs I should be prioritizing.
>
> I’ve included a large project if anyone with a newish computer would like to
> test their compilation time. The main file is MDSM.ly. It takes my computer
> between 4 and 5 minutes to compile.
>
> Cheers,
> Vaughan

Thanks everyone for all the benchmarking. It looks like I’ll get a
huge improvement whatever I do. I’m thinking of getting a refurbished
computer with decent single-thread performance:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Getting a fairly cheap older computer would only sacrifice about 20%
of performance (in the 1900 range on this chart). With the extra money
I could soup it up with an SSD and a modern graphics card.

There was some funny stuff happening with convert-ly and footnotes.
I’ll see if I can do a small example.

I have no idea what the
warning: cannot find property type-check for `extra-X-extent'
(backend-type?).  perhaps a typing error?
warning: skipping assignment
…warning is about. I’ll see if it happens with the original 2.16 files.

And don’t worry, I rarely compile the whole lot. In this file I can
comment the \include lines to work on one movement at a time. I’m not
that much of a glutton for punishment!

Cheers,
Vaughan