RE: New LilyPond website

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: RE: New LilyPond website
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 21:16:06 +1100

Hello John,

Firstly, welcome to the lilypond community.

Since you asked for comments, I feel compelled to reply. While what you have done is fine, I admit to being very surprised that you have made some considerable effort off your own bar without, as far as I know, any communication or discussion with the very active community of list members here. There exists a complete archive of this list. If you examine that, recently there has been a lot of discussion about the lilypond website, which clarified the constraints involved, such as the important fact that it is generated by an automated build process so that the documentation can be provided online – a valuable resource, for one thing. Accessibility is another very important consideration for the users on this list. As a result of in depth discussions work was indeed done to renovate the website only very recently. I truly feel that if you want to make a contribution to the community, and I am sure you have the technical skills to do so, then it behoves you to find out more about the lilypond community, how the website works and what it is for, and not unilaterally come up with a solution with no consultation. That is not in the spirit of cooperative open source development processes.

More, although Wordpress has a reasonably high degree of uptake, that does not mean it is the best technology for the job. Extensive discussion is needed on that point. As a web designer and implementer myself, I have my own views on that application which I shall not detain you with here.

As to the look and feel, well, this is a subjective matter. While others on the list are enthusiastic, personally I hugely dislike these cookie cutter Wordpress layouts which all look the same nowadays, and let me assure you, that style will date quickly – it’s as ephemeral as anything else. Worse it does not make it any easier to find the lilypond resources one is seeking.

I think it is worth taking cognisance of Hraban’s pertinent comments also. I hope you are open to comments, which, although possibly severe, are made sincerely and in good faith.

Andrew