Re: New LilyPond website

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 18:10:44 +0100

Shane Brandes <address@hidden> writes:

> I gave John yesterday the opportunity to defend his choice of sans
> serif font in a private email.  Now that that box has been opened
> publicly I will comment.

Man, you make it sound as if he defiled the grave of Hermann Zapf.

> Sans versus Serif is an annoying discussion both styles have their
> place. Sans has been around 200 years and serif fonts since 1465. The
> argument about screen resolution versus paper, is rapidly becoming
> irrelevant with advances in screen technology.

600 dpi high contrast screens are not yet commonplace.

> Although I expect people that grew up during the depression drinking
> ersatz coffee might not enjoy the complexities of the real thing. It
> might be the fixation with sans fonts are also the remnants of fadish
> rebellion to the establishment left over from the post WWII era.

Let's not forget that the Nazis abolished Fraktur for Antiqua merely so
that their proclamations could be better read in the occupied countries.

I think it's time to switch back to ersatz coffee and get down the
general blood pressure.

> Anyway, given the fact that Lilypond is trying to give the user the
> best possible music printing, it is my belief that the choice of
> typography should reflect that as a well and not give off the scent of
> our current throwaway society. Yep much stronger opinions on that than
> I initially thought.  So feel free to disagree.

I feel we are not arguing at a level here where agreement or
disagreement makes any sense with regard to arriving at a consensus.

--
David Kastrup