Re: Is there a short way of forcing a particular octave?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Is there a short way of forcing a particular octave?
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 23:17:35 -0500

Hi David,

> Do you mean things like
> ?

Yes.

Your example brings up another major limitation (IMO) to \relative mode: It is
essentially impossible to figure out at a quick glance how the last c relates
to the first. Are they the same octave? Is the last c higher than the first?
Lower? By how much?? And, of course, the further apart two notes are in the
code — that is, the more notes there are intervening — the more difficult it is
to accurately gauge their relationship.

> I'm just worried about people's attempts to *dissuade others from* using it,
> as if there's something wrong or immature about it.

I feel it’s the wrong method to promote in the documentation.

> You wrote "I am slowly converting all my old code to \absolute".
> Is this a difficult process?

Not at all. I just rarely have time to focus on my older scores, given the fact
that I’m always facing deadlines with current commissions and engraving
projects — so the progress of updating legacy code (which also includes
improving the formatting, etc.) is hardly instantaneous.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info