Re: Trying to Convert MIDI to Lilypond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Trying to Convert MIDI to Lilypond
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2016 09:58:39 +0100

Joseph Austin <address@hidden> writes:

> I tried to run Lilypond's midi2ly on my mac and got the following error:
> Seems to be a Python problem:
>
> joemacbook:midi josephaustin$
> /Applications/LilyPond-2-19-45.app/Contents/Resources/bin/midi2ly
> HotCrossBuns.mid
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/Applications/LilyPond-2-19-45.app/Contents/Resources/bin/midi2ly",
> line
> 1214, in <module>
>     main ()
>   File "/Applications/LilyPond-2-19-45.app/Contents/Resources/bin/midi2ly",
> line
> 1211, in main
>     convert_midi (f, o)
>   File "/Applications/LilyPond-2-19-45.app/Contents/Resources/bin/midi2ly",
> line
> 945, in convert_midi
>     import midi
> ImportError: dlopen
> (/Applications/LilyPond-2-19-45.app/Contents/Resources/lib/lilypond/current/python/midi.so,
> 2): no suitable image found.  Did find:
> /Applications/LilyPond-2-19-45.app/Contents/Resources/lib/lilypond/current/python/midi.so:
> mach-o, but wrong architecture
> joemacbook:midi josephaustin$
>
> I get a similar problem trying to do the convert from within Frescobaldi.
>
> This is my first attempt at MIDI-to-Lilypond conversion,
> so I may be making some elementary error.

This is the only file in the whole LilyPond distribution that needs a C
compiler to compile.  It also makes for a whole lot of trouble.  What it
does can likely be rewritten in Python without much of a performance
impact for the application as a whole.

So rewriting this module in Python proper would be very much desirable.
I think that somebody™ should really do this.

In other words: raise an issue report about this problem, and I think
the suggestion to solve this problem area once and for all by not using
a C module in the first place should be high on the list of desirable
solutions for the issue.

--
David Kastrup