Re: how to get expression in midi

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: how to get expression in midi
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 13:05:55 -0800

On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 09:56:34PM +0100, Dario Marrini wrote:
[...]
>    may you and anybody suggest me any MIDI editor avaluable for Linux?
>    I don't use Windows anymore, since '99...
[...]

Many years ago I used Rosegarden. I don't use it anymore these days,
since I work mostly in notation now, so Lilypond is enough for me. But
you may find it useful.

>    I thought using lilypond might be better to manipulate some stuff
>    like crescendo and diminuendo; simply putting two commands among
>    notes; I have no idea how a midi editor could do that, but in case
>    of a long crescendo (several bars) I think it's not a good idea
>    using lilypond command, instead of changing singular notes'
>    velocity; correct me if I am wrong
[...]

That depends on how far you wish to go with lilypond, and when it
becomes easier to just edit the midi afterwards instead of spending much
more time writing Scheme functions to do what you want in lilypond.
Personally, I actually prefer the latter, but I wouldn't recommend that
unless you're ready to spend more time writing code than writing music
(initially, anyway).  :-P

One of these days I plan to dig into the innards of midi generation in
lilypond and hopefully find ways to improve it, but time isn't on my
side. :-/

Doubt is a self-fulfilling prophecy.