Re: init.ly, what does it do?

From: Br. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Re: init.ly, what does it do?
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 16:43:04 -0500

On 2017-01-08 3:06 PM, Simon Albrecht wrote:
I think often all you need is a clever \include structure and
invoking different .ly files, which apply different settings and both
include the same content

I've thought about this, but so far haven't found a completely
satisfactory way of doing this.  I'm trying to automate the process of
producing different versions so that the program I use to edit the
document into which the score is being inserted, can invoke LilyPond
itself.  Ideally the program would be able to use the settings of the
document to rewrite "my_init.ly" to have the matching settings before
invoking LilyPond.  With separate files, every time I play with the
document settings, I have to create a new file which has the
appropriately matched settings and redirect the document to the new file
(assuming I want to be able to go back to the original settings at some
point).  As the project gets larger this becomes more and more of a
problem (more files to keep track of, more changes to make).

Another option might be using the -e option to initialise a Scheme
variable, which then triggers a switch inside your .ly file.

This sounds like it might be more promising, at least for the scores I
write myself.  When borrowing source from other people, however, the
appropriate Scheme variables won't be there.  I was hoping for something
that was a little more "plug-n-play" and thought the `--init` option
might allow me to drop in borrowed material without having to modify it.

--
Br. Samuel, OSB

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ