Re: Right line of an ottava bracket

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Right line of an ottava bracket
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:36:55 -0600

Urs,

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to style an ottava bracket. But poking around in the IR
> doesn't show me the way how to make the right vertical line look like
> the horizontal line (in the attached image).
>
> What property do I have to override here?

There are no properties you can override.  Dash-fraction is
deliberately set to 1.0 (continuous line) in
Tuplet_bracket::make_bracket for the bracket "wings.".  (Yes, ottava
brackets are drawn by a method of Tuplet_bracket.  BTW, I've been
trying to straighten out some of the confusions in the bracket code.)

You can comment out lines 449-50 in lily/tuplet-bracket.cc to get the
right-lines of ottava brackets (and tuplet-brackets) to obey your
settings.  The drawback, of course, is that you have to build LilyPond
for this to take effect.

The problem is that there is no guarantee that the right ottava line
will cover the desired extent (i.e, black at beginning and end of the
extent).  The wrong settings of dash-period and dash-fraction could
easily yield a puny stub or nothing at all.  There would have to be
some adjustment of dash spacing to guarantee a proper fill of the
space.

Well, there should be one for any dashed line (as there is in some
markup command or other, can't remember the name) -- an option to
modify user settings to that a dashed or dotted line begins and ends
with ink.

Best,
David