Re: Start new score without line break

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Start new score without line break
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 14:28:44 +0100

Andrew,

On 2017-02-22 14:02, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> There's currently a thread here which refers in passing to the
> difficulty of starting a new score on a page without a line break or
> a page break.

I assume you refer to the thread that I hijacked to ask Pierre for his
MuseScore-made D.C., right?  (For reference, I take the liberty to attach it.)

I just want to point out one important linguistic and technical detail:  what
we are lacking is not so much the option to start a new score in-line, it's
about suspending and restarting entire systems /within a score/ in-line.
That's different because a new score has it's own spacing, in particular
vertically.  It /is/ actually possible to achieve the desired effect by putting
two scores in markups and \fill-line them.  But it is certainly non-trivial to
tweak the vertical spacing to the rest of the score above and below, or to make
sure that the staves and elements in the two markup scores are vertically
aligned.  Even less so for a sensible horizontal spacing, or the possibility to
reconsider the breaks after the matter.

> Can this be done? I can see how you can use stopStaff and startStaff
> to get close, but there does not appear to be an obvious way to get
> system start delimiters and braces drawn if you do that.

I once tried to duplicate the SystemStartDelimiter stencil from the beginning
of the line, to insert it at the place where \startStaff is called.  It would
not be the most convenient approach (in particular, you'd typically want to
have some vertically centered text in the gap), but at least a start.  And the
missing delimiter is the main technical hindrance AFAICS.
Alas, I did not succeed; but I suspect that someone with a better Scheme- and
Lily-internals-fu could make this work...

> Simply calling a new score always throws a line break.

See above; that's not quite what we want.

Cheers,
Alexander