Re: Is there any way to use dynamics as prefixes?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Is there any way to use dynamics as prefixes?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 20:26:09 +0100

Hi,

> I think it's rather weird that you write `c'4\ff d'` instead of `\ff c'4
> d'`. Other constructs such as `\tempo` and `\mark` are before the notes they
> affect - why aren't dynamics?

Here's a little misunderstanding. \mark and \tempo are music-functions
not affecting a certain note directly, whereas dynamics and slurs are
indeed part of the 'articulations property of a 'NoteEvent.

Why postfix-syntax?
It's a design-decision, made long time before I was around here.
Maybe others can comment on this.

> For a more practical example, playing the same thing multiple times with
> different dynamics with prefix dynamics would be easy:
>
> ```
> notes = {c'4 d' e' f'}
>
> \mp
> \notes
> \notes
> \ff
> \notes
> ```
>
> Doing the same with suffix dynamics would be rather messy - especially not
> adding any dynamic mark at the second instance.

Try:
notes = { c'4 d' e' f' }

{
  <>\mp
  \notes
  \notes
  <>\ff
  \notes
}

> This also applies to slurs - `(c'4 d' e' f')` is a lot clearer to me than
> `c'4( d' e' f)`.

You'll get used to it very soon.

> (This is the first time I ever use a mailing list, so please tell me if I'm
> doing anything horribly wrong.)

If you have concerns about your behaviour on this list, I recommend to read:

  Harm