Re: Problem with bar numbers

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Problem with bar numbers
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 11:24:35 +0100

Am 14.03.2017 um 09:11 schrieb Don Gingrich:
> OK, I'll start by saying that I'm doing some things that
> are wrong as far as musical purists are concerned,
> but there *is* a reason.
>
> […]
>
> So it breaks the rules of music theory, but there is
> a reason.

If I understand correctly: No, it doesn’t break the rules of music
theory. It’s totally correct (and almost always a must-have!) to have
the last bar shortened by the length of the anacrusis.

> space  that is unwanted. So I've been using
> \partial and copping the warnings since it looks
> better. (It's just the "programmer" in me that doesn't
> like code that "compiles" with warnings.)

Maybe you should use a newer (“unstable”/development version); 2.19.xx
allows \partial after the start of a piece and handles bar numbers
correctly. The development versions aren’t unstable in the sense that
they will crash or damage your input files or something similarly bad
but only that there is a new version every two (?) weeks; of course you
don’t have to always use the very latest version but only upgrade if you
want to use new features.

> The other problem is that the bar numbers get
> screwed up with these anacrusii that aren't supposed
> to be there.

I don’t think LilyPond does anything wrong here. Anacruses aren’t
counted as bars. Maybe you don’t want the two alternatives counted as
two bars? This can be prevented by

\set Score.alternativeNumberingStyle = #'numbers

(you might prefer … = #'numbers-with-letters).

> If it were up to me, I'd re-number at the start of each tune,
> but I'm working to someone else's preferred appearance
> which he achieves with Finale. I'm getting close but
> the bar numbers are defeating me. I tried getting
> a number on every bar. and thought that I had the
> correct command in:
>
>  \set Score.barNumberVisibility = #(every-nth-bar-number-visible 1)
>
> But I still only get numbers at the left side of the staff.

Try

\override Score.BarNumber.break-visibility = #end-of-line-invisible

instead.

Put both of the commands above in a \layout block outside of the
\scores; then they’ll affect (or effect? I don’t know) all scores:

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \override BarNumber.break-visibility = #end-of-line-invisible
    alternativeNumberingStyle = #'numbers-with-letters

The \score blocks then simply look like this (after removing unneeded
contexts and stuff):

\score {
  <<
    \new ChordNames \PartOneChords