Re: A notice about \mark when Mark_engraver is moved

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A notice about \mark when Mark_engraver is moved
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 20:47:14 +0100

Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Well, by default, the \mark command is defined as (in
> .../ly/music-functions-init.ly)
>
> mark =
> #(define-music-function
>    (label) ((number-or-markup?))
>   "Make the music for the \\mark command."
>   (let* ((set (and (integer? label)
>                    (context-spec-music (make-property-set
> 'rehearsalMark label)
>                                       'Score)))
>          (ev (make-music 'MarkEvent
>                          'origin (*location*))))
>
>     (if set
>         (make-sequential-music (list set ev))
>         (begin
>           (if label (set! (ly:music-property ev 'label) label))
>           ev))))
>

> If you copy this definition into the top of your file and replace
> 'Score by 'Staff, it should behave as you expect.

Oh wow.  Should we let Rehearsal_mark_engraver manage all of the
rehearsalMark manipulation and do it in the context where it is
contained?

It could become a problem when you want local mark engraving (in some
Staff) but your marks are getting manipulated by a global mark track.
But then the increments also happen locally.

I'm not completely sure, but I think moving the setting action into
Mark_engraver might make sense for more use cases.  At least it's easier
to explain the effects of moving the Mark_engraver then.

--
David Kastrup