Re: Install LilyBoulez or other alternative fonts on Ubuntu

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Install LilyBoulez or other alternative fonts on Ubuntu
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 16:22:36 +0200

Il giorno lun 26 giu 2017 alle 14:22, Urs Liska <address@hidden> ha scritto:

Am 26.06.2017 um 13:56 schrieb Urs Liska:

Am 26.06.2017 um 13:42 schrieb Federico Bruni:
_get_lilypond_font_path in config.py uses 'current'. Any chance to
adapt it for distro installations?
Well, I can rename it to "current" to make the script work...
I'll have to look into the code once again, but it seems using "current"
is definitely a stupid idea. So you shouldn't actually rename your
installation folders ...
But I think I should restructure the script anyway, since the non-local
option doesn't work anymore anyway (since the fonts aren't at
fonts.openlilylib.org anymore).

Urs

OK, I've misread your message and thought I had used "current" in the sense that I use it as the installation directory of my "current" LilyPond build.

The problem is something different. The script checks if the given path points to a file (assuming it's the lilypond executable) or a directory (assuming an installation directory. What I did *not* consider is a "file" being a link or a wrapper script.

Unless I miss something, the problem is that GUB installers have always usr/share/lilypond/current, while distro packagers (at least Debian and Fedora for sure) prefer replacing it with the actual version.

My guess is that you should change the script in a way that it can run lilypond to find the version installed and then the correct path for that installation.

GUB changes some version to current here:
https://github.com/gperciva/gub/blob/master/gub/specs/lilypond.py#L120

It was not an happy decision as you may guess from the comment:
# WTF, current

I think /usr/bin/lilypond points to either a symlink or the wrapper script.
Could you please give me the output of
cat /usr/bin/lilypond
?

I can't, it's a binary:

[~]$ file /usr/bin/lilypond
/usr/bin/lilypond: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=1794d247d65c3855c2726b871a7f729f9d995347, stripped
[~]$
[~]$
[~]$ ls -lh /usr/bin/lilypond
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4,8M 14 giu 14.50 /usr/bin/lilypond

From there the script goes up two levels and then goes down into the installation directory, looking for the font directories. In your case this results in a very confusing result because "share/lilypond/current" is the correct directory within an installation but looks very confusing prepended with /usr (= two levels above /usr/bin/lilypond).

So apart from me fixing this in some way or another you should be good with $ sudo python install-lily-fonts -l -d /home/fede/.fonts -t /usr/share/lilypond/2.19.62

(i.e pointing to the installation directory)

I had already tried this and did not work.

Error condition:
No LilyPond installation found at or in
 /usr/share/lilypond/2.19.62.
Abort script.