debian-stretch lilypond workaround solution

From: address@hidden
Subject: debian-stretch lilypond workaround solution
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 20:45:14 +0200

My lilypond - experience and workaround-solution with debian stretch:

I updated 2 PCs (precisely a pc and a laptop) at the beginning of July
2017 from a zero-errors-running Jessie to a (censored by vice squad
;-) ) Stretch.

One of the knockouts was: I had overlooked, that lilypond is removed
in Stretch "because" an unsolved Guile-"Problem". Nebbisch?!

So I sat in the trap as a professional musician - had new systems, but
they worked not for me into the right direction.

But, I can't solve my professional tasks with 0.A.D., I need lilypond.

At fist, I believed, I had to wait for a solution of this
Guile-Problem. :-(

Then I thought: This can take years, or decades - because I'm waiting
already since 20 years very unsuccessful of a userfriendly
out-of-the-box-and-without-mammut-latencies-running sound- and
understandable printing-solution for linux too (I'm 59 now) - maybe,
the solutions are written somedeay only on my tomb-bow posthumous, or
on the tombs of my grand-grand-children ...

Short: I had a very need for a workaround, and wrote for this to the
lilypond-project itself.

An easy and short correspondence came out and then came the right
question from Trevor Daniels:

" Can you not download one of the binaries from here?

http://lilypond.org/development.html "

A try and: BINGO!

So, this was my way:

- I'm using debian stretch, very new installation on an old quad AMD
  hardware

- downloaded lilypond from http://lilypond.org/unix.html
(in my case: the link of "GNU/Linux 64: LilyPond 2.18.2-1 64bit
Systems. " )

- copied the downloaded file (named: "lilypond-2.18.2-1.linux-64.sh"
  into /usr/local/bin by:

cp ./lilypond-2.18.2-1.linux-64.sh /usr/local/bin

- then I set the x (for "make it running" ;-)  ) by:

chmod +x lilypond-2.18.2-1.linux-64.sh

- then I started the shell-script by

./lilypond-2.18.2-1.linux-64.sh

- and the whole lilypond was installed in a moment

- so i started frescobaldi and frescobaldi found the lilypond now
  without further work - and: Is working now again!

- I have a running lilypond this way now again - maybe, it helps other
  Debian-Stretch-Tricked too.

Ofcourse it would be better, if the Debian-Project would find a way to
workaround the guile-"problem" and reintegrate immedially lilypond
into the Stretch-repositories again (not all debian-users are such
"creative IT-professionals" like me ;-) LOOOL (seriously: a big thanks
to Trevor!! some thousands of  exclamation marks) , maybe, my fellows
in misery believe the debian statements really (like me at the
beginning ;-) ) and without further questions ;-) , so the damage for
them by such destructive "solutions" like simply by "removing instead
solving" is predictable immense (is this todays "solution", simply to
remove lilypond from there, a really way, if we fall back into old,
not-running-times again this way - and this, after lilypond was a very
good, responsible and professional running part of the debian project
already, over years in the past?? Its a very serious PR-damage too for
the Debian-Maintainers - not only in my own eyes - who needs this??
Whom's use is this?  ... and all this in times of whole "virtual
OS'ses"?? Or is it simple a hidden, silent sabotage of the Debian AND
lilypond project???

Anyway.

It's not the best reputation for the Debian-Projekt in my eyes and at
moment, if problems are "solved" by removing and on the (tricky
or unprofessional, this is here the question?) way of too shorttimed
alarms!

And Murdock wouldn't be lucky for sure, if he could heare, that this
disstressing "Stretch" (hey folks, those was suckers, not pimples! ;-)
) is ironically dedicated  - just him ...

In the hope, my words help a bit - developers and users ...

Lutz

(a very professional musician in absolutely ALL genres, but :-( not an
IT-professional (only for domestic use a little C, perl, php/html
(don't laugh, I'm not the youngest anymore ;-) ), lisp (it's coming
again! - I'm working on a little OS for very small personal computers:
free hardware, free software, a strong (and consistent for aeons this
way!)  mathematical programming-paradigma like lambda-calculum for a
small, energy-saving single-workstation for private users, "the
windows" under the free software, so to say - linux is the free
solution for the bigger ones (in my eyes - a revolutionary, but only a
first - step, but really nothing for a small user without
programming-knowledge in his sleepingroom ... ;-) - i need an
"out-of-the-box-OS" - and Linux will never be a such one - because his
overboarding complexity ...  - there are a lot of peoples, which need
urgendly to solve real life-problems and not newly, self-loving
IT-triggered ones), sql, bash and - coming soon, bcause thats it! -
hardwaretight- and micro- code. ), and not an english native
speaker :-) - if everybody easily can read here ... ;)  - so my new OS
cant be in english, ofcourse :-( ;-)   ...)

Lutz