Re: \transposition question

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: \transposition question
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 10:23:12 +0200

On 01.09.2017 09:35, Jacques Menu Muzhic wrote:
But then, why is the <diatonic> markup present in MusicXML?

A few days ago, in the Music Engraving Tips forum on Facebook, we had a discussion about why Čaikovskij spells what sounds a B major chord in the Horns in F as <fis bes cis>. In short: A# is very uncomfortable to play for horns, horns don’t use any written key signature anyway, etc. My point here is: MusicXML wants to avoid such enharmonic respellings by not specifying a fifth as 7 semitones, but as 5 diatonic steps amounting to 7 semitones. Or so I guess…

Best, Simon