Re: Assign Dynamics Context to PianoStaff for MIDI

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: Assign Dynamics Context to PianoStaff for MIDI
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 15:32:11 +0100

On 10 November 2017 at 15:16, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:

> On 10 November 2017 at 11:14, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > I simplified the code but this also does not create any dynamics:
>> >
>> > \version "2.19.80"
>> >
>> > dynamics = {s4\ppppp \< s4 s4 s4 s4 s4 s4 s4 \!\fffff}
>> > music = \fixed c' {c d e f c d e f}
>> >
>> > \score {
>> >   \new Staff {<<\music \dynamics>>}
>> >   \midi { }
>> >   \layout {}
>> > }
>>
>> In ly/performer-init.ly I read
>>
>> \context {
>>   \type "Performer_group"
>>   \name Voice
>>   \consists "Dynamic_performer"
>>   \consists "Tie_performer"
>>   \consists "Piano_pedal_performer"
>>   \consists "Note_performer"
>>   \consists "Beam_performer"
>>   \consists "Slur_performer"
>> }
>>
>> so dynamics are performed at Voice level, but you change them in a
>> _different_ Voice.
>>
>> Try \new Staff { \new Voice <<\music \dynamics>>} instead in order to
>> get the dynamics into the same voice.
>

> I understood absolutely nothing about what I changed etc. but it works
> great!  Thank you David!! Do you know where are explained these things in
> the documentation?

Some section about contexts.

\new Staff { << \music \dynamics >> }

in this case (where neither \music nor \dynamics contain extra
context-relevant instructions) is roughly equivalent to

\new Staff { << \new Voice \music   \new Voice \dynamics >> }

Ok, now it's clear. Thank you also for the info on the documentation, I will check "context".
g.