Re: Issues about optical spacing

From: Tomohiro Tatejima
Subject: Re: Issues about optical spacing
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 03:05:18 +0900

Hello,

thank you for your reply.

Of course I can set the optical corrections to 0. I sent these issues
to this mailing list because default correction seems a little odd (at
least for me). I think fixing them might produce a slight (but valid)
improvement on LilyPond's default spacing.

As for first issue, I can understand that `f d` does not need so much
space between notes as `f f`, as `d` does not collide with the stem of
`f`. But what I cannot understand is that `f a` or `f b` needs more
space than `f f` or `f g` (assume all notes are \stemUp'd). I suppose
they should be given same spacing as `f f` or `f g`.

For second, I think the better output is where the red and the green
(in the picture attached) for each pair are equally spaced (I mean
*exactly 1:1*), as they have the same interval and nothing prevents
from they being spaced equally.

Both issues can be resolved if I \override corrections to 0, but I
really love LilyPond's philosophy of optical spacing. I sent them as
proposals of making spacing better.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Tomohiro Tatejima