Re: rightHandfinger location; 2 issues.

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: rightHandfinger location; 2 issues.
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 22:33:59 +0100

> Hello,
>
> In the following snippet, I have two issues:
>
> Some chords placed in voice two require one right hand fingering above the
> staff and positioned left-of-default, the other below the staff and
> positioned right-of-default (note: fingerings are already in a #(down up)
> setup; the #(up) part is hidden behind the notehead).
> Right-Hand finger m always sits above the stem, while i and a tend to sit
> next to the stem. This creates an uneven, "peaks and valleys" right-hand
> fingering layout.
>
> For 1): From what I've read, it doesn't seem possible to manually position
> individual elements inside of a chord construct. Is this correct? If so, is
> my best solution to insert a quick \new Voice << {}{} >>  into voice 2? Or
> is there a way to manually position chord elements that I've missed?
>
> For 2): I assume this is because m is a wider element than either i or a. So
> I thought reducing horizontal padding would make it pop in at the same spot
> that i and a tend to sit at. However, nothing I do with \once \override
> fingeringOrientations.outside-staff-horizontal-padding = -1 seems to have
> any effect on it. Am I reduced to using StrokeFinger.padding or, more
> likely, StrokeFinger.extra-offset = #'(0.25 . 0)? I'm hoping this is a
> padding issue so that I can just remove padding or adjust a horizontal
> factor, then Lilypond will (fingers-crossed) place the
>
> Related to 2), how can I ensure that my m, a, and i fingerings are all
> aligned on the same horizontal level (where appropriate) and, in different
> situations? Right now, I've just been eyeballing it. My best guess is that
> this would involve linking the grobs together somehow... but I'm just
> shooting in that dark on that one. I've not had to delve that deep into the
> grob-interface before, and I haven't found anything in the docs that seems
> to suggest this is possible. Maybe I missed it?
>
> As a side-note, why is the default for right-hand fingers to be placed to
> the right of the notehead? I don't ever recall seeing this in any classical
> guitar music I've played (and I've played a lot). In my memory, it's always
> above or to the left. It seems odd to put information you need (which finger
> to use to play a note) after you need it (which note to play). Do other
> instruments do this? Similarly, left-hand fingers are almost always to the
> right (I can imagine them being placed above, but I don't recall any
> situations. However, it looks a lot less bizarre to me than the lilypond
> default for RH notes).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kale
>
> the source material for this example was imported from XML, which was
> created via Audiverus, the Musical OCR (MCR) application. Hence some weird
> part names.
>
> \version "2.18.2"
> \language "english"
> rh = #rightHandFinger
> rhp = -\rightHandFinger #1
> [...]

To answer some of your questions:
For in-chord-adjustments we have the \tweak-command.

In your example I'd be fine with adding
\layout { \context { \Voice \override StrokeFinger.add-stem-support = ##t } }
to the score and dropping the extra-offset.
Admittedly the a-finger is higher than the m-finger, but that's
because of different stem-lengths.
This will always happen ofcourse.

Cheers,
  Harm