Re: Inserting a verical space, or an empty line, between two markups att

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Inserting a verical space, or an empty line, between two markups attached to a note.
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 12:00:50 -0700 (MST)

Hi Robert,

The main problem is the baseline-skip within the columns, i.e. the lines of
text are too far apart from each other.
If the default skip is too wide, inserting positive \vspace can only make it
worse (by the way, it's also possible to insert negative \vspace).

The "proper" and most natural way, however, is to adjust the baseline-skip
at will:

Each \column (or \center-column) has a property called baseline-skip that
can be altered by overriding its default value. I've also included two
separate \center-columns and a \line construct in order to be able to shift
the "Rome, Mars 1934" column slightly to the right. Just for demonstration
purposes how these markup "boxes" can be nested and combined.

\version "2.19.81"

\markup {
  \column {
    \override #'(baseline-skip . 2.2) \italic \center-column {
      "m. g."
      "dessus"
    }
    \vspace #0.8
    \line {
      \hspace #1.2
      \override #'(baseline-skip . 1.8) \tiny \center-column {
        "Rome"
        \bold "Mars 1934"

mg-dessus.png
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/mg-dessus.png>

There are two different baseline-skip values for the two boxes (Rome, Mars
1934 is in smaller type and requires a smaller baseline-skip).

I generally used double qoutes for text because it will be coloured as
verbatim text in my editor and (in this case to prevent "Mars 1934" from
begin split into two lines.

HTH
Torsten

PS: I don't know the original page layout, but probably it would be best to
use tagline for "Rome...", as in Noeck's proposal. But it is always
beneficial to know about baseline-skip, anyway.