Re: Why no numbers allowed in variables?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Why no numbers allowed in variables?
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 16:22:52 -0400

Hi David,

Thanks for the examples and explanations.

> You'd probably also think that
>
> { c = -3 }
>
> is an assignment.  It isn't.  It is a note c with a relative octave
> check and a fingering of 3 .

Fair enough. So there would, at the very least, be some sort of new assignment
syntax for variables with numbers in them. Ugh.

> It isn't "post-fixed".  It is a note of its own.
> partI = { tambourine 4. 8 4 4 }
> \drums { \rhythm 2 r2 }

Can the compiler not be instructed on how to tell the difference between

   \rhythm2

and

  \rhythm 2

? (Honest question: I don’t know the parser / lexer / compiler limitations.)

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info