Re: Why no numbers allowed in variables?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Why no numbers allowed in variables?
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 22:46:48 +0200

Am Di., 2. Okt. 2018 um 22:37 Uhr schrieb Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden>:

> Hi Harm,
>
> > val = "foo"
> > <<
> >  \new Staff \repeat unfold 4 c'4
> >  \new Lyrics \lyricmode { \val4 \val2 \val4 }
> >  \new Lyrics \lyricmode { \val4 \val4 \val2 }
> >>>

> > Your proposal would make it impossible.
>
> Another good example — thanks. That being said, putting a syllable in a
> variable and then adding durations to it seems to me — as someone who
> engraves a *huge* amount of vocal music, from a wide variety of styles,
> genres, and eras — like a *much* "fringe-i-er" case than the number of cases
> that would benefit from restricting \variableName2 to count as a variable
> name.
>
> Regardless, it doesn’t seem like there’s much enthusiasm to pick up the
> feature request.

Not so hasty ;)
Though, I second David. We would need a logical coherent method.
Without having to much drawbacks.
Honestly, I don't have such a proposal and even if I would have one,
I'm not able to implement something like that.

Otoh, counting use-cases is not a bad argument either.

Cheers,
  Harm