Re: Automatically identify beats

From: Daniel Sales
Subject: Re: Automatically identify beats
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 17:08:12 -0300

On 2018-10-07 8:29 a.m., Thomas Morley wrote:

I disagree.
"1 2 / 3 4 / 5 6" feels like 3/4. No matter what is actual printed.

Even with Daniels manual coloring I disagree, more, the (not
demonstrated) 5/8 can be done as 2-3 or 3-2, etc

So I think one _must_ specify which colors are to be used and where.
Indeed, it seems there's no consensus on a fixed rule to apply for all cases. The example wasn't really to define a mandatory coloring, but just to show what I wanted to achieve by coloring beats differently :)

Below my own attempt using an engraver (to have access to the
'timeSignatureFraction, a context-property, and to Stem/NoteHead-grobs
in one go).
The colors are stored/mapped in a predefined list. The newly defined
context-property 'colorLikeTiming is set to this list. Making it
user-adjustable where needed.

Ofcourse there's wide room for improvements.
One example: _Every_ TimeSignature will have a strong emphasis at
first beat. Thus one could reflect this in the coding, currently
you'll have to explicitely set colors on every beat you want.
Or a better user-interface to adjust 'colorLikeTiming where needed.
But I'm lazy today ... ;)

It was almost perfect, thanks a lot!. I just needed to make a few changes and add some missing time signatures. Now that I see it working I'm thinking that I should also add color to the corresponding lyrics...but I'm also too lazy today ;)

Many thanks to Aaron as well.

Best Regards,
Daniel