listhelper-discuss

Re: Moderating debbugs.gnu.org input

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Moderating debbugs.gnu.org input
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 23:55:10 GMT

Hi Glenn,

    mentions "listhelper at gnu.org" and "listhelper-moderate at gnu.org".
    Does the former just run spamassassin, and only ever reject things?

Yes.  (Well, discard, actually.  Reject is bad.)

    So it would likely not be very useful in this case, since we already
    have a tuned spamassassin in place.

It does have the advantage that then mail to debbugs-submit will show up
in our "unified" mailbox and we can easily delete
spam-that-passed-spamassassin, etc.

    moderator "listhelper at gnu.org", but the more recently created
    help-debbugs has "listhelper at nongnu.org".

There's no difference at all between listhelper{,-moderate} @gnu.org and
@nongnu.org.  I usually use @gnu.org when I add it to GNU lists, but
don't even try to be perfectly consistent about it, since it makes no
difference.

I guess I should mention this on the listhelper web page.

    But this makes me wonder how messages would get accepted at all on
    help-debbugs, if I hadn't added my own address as another moderator,
    which I was happy to do, but I seem to remember it wasn't required?

Lists on gnu.org which have listhelper-moderate as an owner or moderator
end up being monitored by us for pending "real" mail.

However, our current process for doing that wouldn't be effective for
debbugs-submit, since the little scripts I wrote for it run on
lists.gnu.org.

Hmm.  Up till now, I've just been logging in occasionally by hand to the
debbugs-submit.  If we want to see it through our usual methods, we'll
have to run those little scripts on the debbugs machine too, it seems to
me.  It basically just checks if there are any pending messages every
hour (or however often) and if so, updates a web page that we look at.

Sorry I didn't really realize what would be needed when you wrote first.

    Maybe it works because listhelper-moderate at gnu.org is the list
    admin in both case, and the admin address also get moderation emails?

The admin address does get moderation emails; in mailman, the *only*
difference between the admin and moderator recepients (unless I've
missed something all this time) is that the admins are listed in the
footer of the web pages and the moderators aren't.

However, we humans pay no attention to moderation emails.  We did in the
early days, but it's not scalable ...

    If so, I guess the answer is that I should add "listhelper-moderate"
    as a moderator... Or do you prefer it to be added as an admin?

In this case, it won't do any good to add it in either place.  Since
it's on a different host, we'd have to handle it differently anyway.