lkdp-discuss

Re: [LKDP] Just a thought..

From: Abhishek Nayani
Subject: Re: [LKDP] Just a thought..
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:54:53 +0530

Hi,

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002, Paulo Andre' wrote:
> * Boris Bezlaj (address@hidden) wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:20:43PM +0000, Paulo Andre' wrote:
> >
> > Keep in mind that 2.5/2.6 is a "moving target" and as such very
> > hard to follow. Unless waiting for 2.6, i see no point in changing
> > the books every week..
> >

> Yes, I understand. I don't know how deep into writing the books you
> guys already are but let me remind you that 2.5 has now entered the
> feature freeze. This means, as you know, that no major changes will be
> merged into the different kernel subsystems so it is no longer such a
> moving target (although I agree that 2.4 is obviously much more static,
> by definition). Thus, what we have right now is pretty much what will be in
> 2.6 in terms of the big picture.

        What we have right now is just the list of features that will be in
2.6. The code is going to changed a lot more than that o 2.4. Even some features
might get dropped, or might be buggy etc... Since we are actually commenting the
code and tracing the execution paths, it would be better to stick to 2.4 itself.

> > Some of us are more learning than documenting, so if we learn on 2.4,
> > the books can be more easily rewamped to 2.6 kernel later.
>
> I'm learning too 8) Still, I reiterate my former statements. If the new
> kernel has reached a point where it is no longer suffering major
> changes, why not document the latest stuff?
>
> And also, don't get me wrong, but your logic of being easier to revamp
> 2.4 into 2.6 is fundamentally wrong. Considering the various subsystems
> have changed so much during 2.5 development won't you have a double
> effort to get it up to date when 2.6 is around?

        Currently we are documenting the features which haven't been radically
modified (re-written, rmap can be considered as an addon ;-)). The Network layer
has been fairly stable, O(1) is also available on 2.4, which is what we are
focusing on,
The VFS layer is also pretty much the same and so on...

        There are new features and re-writes in 2.6 like the console layer,
block layer etc..
but we are not covering them yet. Also the ETA for 2.6 is somewhere in late
2003, so we got time
to cover as much of 2.4 code as possible.

> Best regards,
>
>               Paulo

                                        Bye,
                                                Abhi.

"I can only show you the door, you have to walk through it..." - Morpheus
Home Page: http://www.abhi.tk