lmi

Re: [lmi] Alien msvc rtl dll messing with the fpu?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Alien msvc rtl dll messing with the fpu?
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:08:56 +0000

On 2006-2-8 19:12 UTC, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 12:23:37 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> That didn't prevent the problem, but we found a brute-force method
> GC> that did: at startup, call LoadLibrary() on every dll in the
> GC> "\WINDOWS" and "\WINDOWS\SYSTEM[32]" directories.
>
>  This is really, hmm, brute. You can see what DLLs are really being loaded
> by asking your user (who can reproduce the problem) to run dependency
> walker (www.dependencywalker.com) and using its "Profile" menu (or just
> press F7). After exiting the program you will see the list of all loaded
> DLLs, including those loaded dynamically.
>
>  This is probably the easiest way to get this information without using a
> debugger or writing some code to hook LoadLibraryW() system call.

I tried it with lmi. It prints some error messages that say:

- EFSADU not found. Some "encrypted file system" thing.

- Unresolved imports in MPR, DAVCLNT, and DRPROV.

Our end users generally aren't computer experts. If we told them to use
this program and they saw messages like that, they'd guess that our
software was broken. That would be a bad inference: I profiled 'WORDPAD'
in the same way, and got the same errors; and the vendor's FAQ mentions
the MPR problem and says to ignore it. But even if it didn't print
spurious error messages, we couldn't ask our end users to run this
program. Thanks anyway.