lmi

Re: [lmi] Unable to close lmi (resolved)

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Unable to close lmi (resolved)
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:38:04 +0100

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 05:27:38 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> [I believe I've solved this problem. It's documented here just
GC> for the record.]

GC>   http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2008-12/msg00016.html
GC> describes one way to reproduce a situation where an exception is
GC> thrown in a class ultimately derived from wxView.

 Sorry for failing to look at the original before, I'm rebuilding LMI to do
it right now -- from what I can see, even though you did fix the problem in
LMI so far it's still not clear why did the behaviour change in 2.8.9 and
I'd like to understand this.

GC> The ultimate cause is that IllustrationView::OnCreate(), an
GC> overridden virtual, can throw an exception (as in the situation
GC> above)--but it needs to return 'false' to prevent the doc-view
GC> framework from creating a zombie view.
GC>
GC> I'll address the observed problem narrowly now, by trapping that
GC> particular exception. A general solution could require a fairly
GC> extensive rewrite, trapping all exceptions in potentially any
GC> overridden wx function that doesn't return 'void'.

 Even although doing it in wx is not much simpler, I'd still prefer to do
it there because at least like this it will have to be done only once. So
I've just checked in the following change:

        http://trac.wxwidgets.org/changeset/57671

which could be backported (in a slightly modified form) to 2.8 branch if
you think this would be useful for LMI. Please let me know if you do.

 Thanks,
VZ