lmi

[lmi] Unexpected output from 'svn update'

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Unexpected output from 'svn update'
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 00:48:31 +0000

I just updated my local tree from the repository, and was surprised
by the " U   ." line:

$svn update
Restored 'ChangeLog'
U    illustration_reg.xsl
G    ledger_invariant.cpp
U    ChangeLog
G    ledger_invariant.hpp
G    product_data.cpp
G    product_data.hpp
 U   .
Updated to revision 4955.

I had moved my copies of the 'U' files aside, and I had already
made local changes to the 'G' files that should have (and did)
match Wendy's changes. But I didn't expect the last line, with
a 'U' in the second column.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.ref.svn.c.update.html
| updates to the file's properties are shown in the second column

I wonder how the properties might have changed. What I see with
'svn proplist' looks like what we had in '.cvsignore' before we
converted to svn:

$svn proplist -v .
Properties on '.':
  svn:ignore
    Makefile.in
    aclocal.m4
    autom4te.cache
    compile
    config.guess
    config.h.in
    config.sub
    configure
    depcomp
    install-sh
    libtool
    ltmain.sh
    missing
    mkinstalldirs
    *.sw?
    date_last_made

I'm left with the fear that properties have changed in some way
that I don't know how to determine. Is there some other command
that would tell me more?

I should mention that I had initially neglected to move my local
'ChangeLog' aside before updating (prior to the 'update' output
at the top of this email). When I saw the "Conflict" message
below, I renamed my local 'ChangeLog', then chose "postpone",
eliciting an error message from svn:

/lmi/src/lmi[0]$svn update
Restored 'illustration_reg.xsl'
Conflict discovered in 'ChangeLog'.
Select: (p) postpone, (df) diff-full, (e) edit,
        (mc) mine-conflict, (tc) theirs-conflict,
        (s) show all options:
Select: (p) postpone, (df) diff-full, (e) edit,
        (mc) mine-conflict, (tc) theirs-conflict,
        (s) show all options: p
svn: Can't open file 'ChangeLog': No such file or directory

Could that reasonably have caused svn to report a property
change on the current *directory*, though?