lmi

Re: [lmi] sequence input editor -- how to get accepted keywords

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] sequence input editor -- how to get accepted keywords
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 00:56:55 +0000

Sorry for the delay--let me answer what I can now.

On 2010-06-11 09:47Z, Vaclav Slavik wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 17:38 +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
>> This seems to be the central question. It's really hard for me to
>> answer without seeing your (unfinished) code. But if that's not ready
>> to share yet
>
> I think it mostly is now. You can see the patch, including some (Linux)
> screenshots of the control, here:
>    http://review.bakefile.org/r/210/diff/

That looks really nice. If it's not too much trouble, could I ask you
to keep that available online for another couple of months? I want to
show it to some end users and managers. (They'd be using msw, but I'd
actually rather show them these GNU/Linux screenshots, to increase
their awareness that wx-based applications support multiple platforms.
Maybe some one will want to commission a cell-phone port of lmi....)

> Downloadable patch is here:
>    http://review.bakefile.org/r/210/diff/raw/
> I'm including it below, too.

That's the part that I haven't been able to spend time on yet.

> There are two problems with the patch that I didn't address yet:
>
> (1) The code depends on wx-2.9, because it uses wxTextEntry, which is a
> new base class for wxTextCtrl (used for keywords-less entry) and
> wxComboBox (used when keywords are available). Unless you plan to
> migrate to 2.9 soon anyway (do you?), I'll fix this.

If a later version is required, then we probably should upgrade lmi
instead of backporting anything to an older wx. We're using this:
  ftp://ftp.wxwidgets.org/pub/2.9.0/wxWidgets-2.9.0.tar.bz2
which is dated 2009-09-07 and has wxTextEntry in 'wx/combobox.h'.
Is that sufficient? If not, then would the latest "daily" snapshot:
  ftp://ftp.wxwidgets.org/pub/Daily_HEAD/Linux/wxWidgets-2010-04-26.tar.bz2
suffice? (I know svn HEAD is even better, and it takes only a few
more steps than a snapshot--but "a few more steps" is enough to
force postponement these days.)

> (2) Keywords-only fields aren't supported. If the model has such fields,
> then they should use read-only wxComboBox.

Yes, it does have several such fields:
  DeathBenefitOption
  PaymentMode
  CorporationPaymentMode

> Then there's the gross hack with accesssing the model in
> InputSequenceEntry::UponOpenEditor(), but I don't know how else to do it
> now.

Then InputSequenceEntry::UponOpenEditor() is the first thing I'll
look at when I get a chance.

> Also, I only converted the Payment field for now; I can do more of them
> if you agree with the general approach, but I would need some
> hand-holding, as I am unfamiliar with the model.

'Payment' is one of the most difficult fields; once that works,
everything else will be straightforward.