lmi

Re: [lmi] Direct drill-down census editor testing

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Direct drill-down census editor testing
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:09:53 +0000

On 2011-11-23 13:58Z, Vaclav Slavik wrote:
> On 2011-10-20 19:11, Václav Slavík wrote:
>> On 20 Oct 2011, at 14:36, Wendy Boutin wrote:
>>> 1. Keyboard navigation is very limited. I can use the up and down
>>> arrow keys to select different cells, but I can't drill down to
>>> any particular data column within a cell.
>>
>> Yes. This is something I mentioned here before, this functionality
>> is missing in the wxWidgets version used by LMI. The trunk version
>> is much better, I just have some minor finishing touches to do, before
>> it's fully ready for LMI. I'll post here once all the patches land.
>
> wx SVN has keyboard navigation implemented now. Navigation between
> columns works with left/right arrows

That's great news. I believe end users will expect to navigate this
control much as they would a spreadsheet.

> editing is triggered with
> spacebar, Enter or F2.

With wx-2.9.2, if I scroll to the right to edit a datum, then press
up- or down-arrow, then the dataview control scrolls to the leftmost
position. Can that be changed in wx-2.9.3, so that it doesn't scroll
horizontally (which makes my datum invisible)?

[patches for issues Wendy had raised:
  (1) applied 20111214T0038Z: Revert row-height change of 20110807T2144Z
  (2) applied 20111214T0041Z: Use default control sizes only when necessary
]

> This way, textual controls will fit into the cell. But some
> controls -- ones that don't look well if they are smaller than their
> natural size -- will use slightly larger size and overlap a few
> pixels over the cell below. It's not ideal, but the content being
> edited is much more important. And it isn't that bad, it is (1) that
> is making things so much worse.

Yes, I agree.