lmi

Re: [lmi] Allow opening cell editor with double-click

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Allow opening cell editor with double-click
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 16:37:28 +0100

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 13:31:15 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> I agree that Enter should do the same thing as double-click. But it
GC> seems weird that Spacebar does anything; could we prevent if from
GC> having any effect, at least in lmi?

 The trouble is that this is really the only other standard key for doing
this. We discussed it already with Vaclav and neither of us could really
come with any good alternative. So if we don't use Space, what do we use?
Perhaps nothing and just start editing in place whenever any character-
generating key (i.e. not something like a cursor arrow or function key or
...) is pressed, like in a spreadsheet or wxGrid? Or would this result in
too much accidental editing for LMI users?

GC> > With this patch, Enter is used for the same purpose
GC> > as double-click and Ctrl+E, so only F2 or Space can be used for inline
GC> > editing (and the mouse, of course).
GC>
GC> It also blocks Alt-Spacebar, which should pull down the system menu;
GC> I rely on that.

 This is definitely a bug, Alt-Spacebar shouldn't be intercepted by this
code, we need to fix this in any case.

GC> Would it be possible to map something else (e.g., Alt-Enter) to the
GC> inline-editing handler, in addition to F2? F2 is natural because of
GC> the spreadsheet analogy; but I'd like a synonym (other than Spacebar)
GC> that's easier for me to reach than an F key.

 I agree that F2 is not especially convenient (nor that easily
discoverable) but I really don't see any key other than Space that could
be reasonably used for this. What is the problem with using Space BTW?

 Regards,
VZ