lmi

Re: [lmi] Curious failure message

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Curious failure message
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 22:48:58 +0200

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 20:05:16 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> An end user gets this messagebox:
GC>
GC> lmi_wx_shared.exe - Entry Point Not Found
GC> ---------------------------
GC> The procedure entry point
GC> _ZN18wxScrollHelperBase11DoPrepareDCER4wxDC could not be
GC> located in the dynamic link library
GC> wxmsw30u_gcc_gcc-345-241998efc12205172ed24c18788ea2cd.dll
GC>
GC> Vadim, does that happen to ring a bell?

 Nothing in particular, no, sorry.

GC> I'm guessing that this is just msw's random way of saying the
GC> dll is missing, and in that case you can't help us at all.

 I can say that this error message doesn't indicate that the DLL is
missing, but just that it doesn't contain the indicated symbol. If it were
completely missing, the error message would be different (exact wording
depends on the Windows version, but its effect is that the application
couldn't start up because one of its components was unavailable).

 I'm at a loss to explain how could this possible happen though. The name
of the DLL corresponds to 3.0.0 MD5 and 3.0.0 definitely contains the
"missing" symbol (it was added in wxWidgets r52961 from 2008-04-01, i.e.
even before 2.9.0). I could understand if something restored an old version
of the DLL from a system restore point, but it shouldn't restore it under
the new name.

 Perhaps you could ask the affected user to send you the DLL mentioned in
the error message when the problem happens again? This might allow us to
understand better what happens, but so far I can only recommend to check
the machine for hardware problems that could result in disk files
corruption after extended IO activity which usually accompanies system
updates.

 Of course, it's not really a good habit to blame hardware for all
mysterious problems, but I just can't think of anything else.

 Regards,
VZ